Our history since 1933
2010/20011 we revised our market position and established a new brand-name presentation.
In 2008 under the management of Stefan Burger, we celebrated our 75th anniversary.
The following figures show how our business has continued to develop, right down to the present day:
- a total area of 6 hectares (of which 4 are outdoor) and 12,000 m² of greenhouse space
- 1,500 m² of “open-top” greenhouses and 1,350 m² of loading and packing space.
In 2000, a company reorganisation was completed, separating a gardening company from a trading organisation.
Since then, we have traded as:
Stefan Burger Gartenbau
Burger Pflanzen & Mehr GmbH & Co. KG
In the summer of 1999, four greenhouses (1,357 m²) were pulled down to make way for a greenhouse with offices, a refrigerated store and new social facilities on a space of 2,000 m2.
In 1999, Stefan Burger became the sole owner of the company.
In March, 1997, Weermann joined the Mainflora connection, with a wholesale cut flower business on the Burger site. The new premises necessary were put up by Edgar & Stefan Burger in 1996 /1997.
On 21.10.1995, a fire destroyed 2,000 m². Thanks to excellent support from local government and the town of Zeil am Main, a new greenhouse of the same size was built. This was completed by 21.02.1996.
In 1994, the company merged with Kritzner Florists’ requirements to set up "Mainflora".
The company developed very well up to 1990, as may be seen from the following figures:
- 5,000 m² of greenhouses
- 800 m² of film-covered greenhouses
- 1,000 m² of frame constructions (heatable)
- 500 m² of cold frames
- 11,000 m² outdoor areas with watering systems
In 1992 the retailing company was became a wholesaling operation.
In 1982 Stefan Burger joined his parents’ company and the company name was changed to Edgar & Stefan Burger
In 1977 Hans Burger left the company.
So far, the company had specialised in sales in the area around Bamberg. In the following years, its catchment area was extended to around 100 km.
In 1973 greenhouse construction was expanded step by step, in line with the company’s extended operations.
In 1956 Edgar Burger joined his parents’ company. From this point, the company became more involved in the growing of decorative plants, making a change-over from frame constructions to greenhouses necessary by 1960.
This achieved its peak in 1955 with 1,000 cold frame units, half of them for growing cucumbers. In addition, 1.5 hundredweight of cauliflower seeds were produced.
During the war, the second greenhouse was built in 1942, with an area of 80 m². At this point, priority was given to producing young vegetables, to ensure nutrition and to supply vegetable farmers with young vegetables for growing outdoors (Rügheim & Römershofen). Hans Burger continued to produce vegetables after the war.
In 1933, Hans Burger started growing vegetables, on an area of 3,000 m². It was a humble beginning, with 20 cold frames providing the basis for production and the first 3m greenhouse, with a length of 20 metres, following in 1936.